Chilaquiles (Tortilla Chips With Red Sauce Topped With Egg!)
Servings 2 meals
For the tortillas
- 8 small corn tortillas corn is best for this, but flour can work
- 1 TBSP olive oil
For the sauce
- 2 TBSP all-purpose flour sub GF flour or whole wheat
- 1 tsp chili powder add 1 tsp more if you like heat, sub cumin if you don’t
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder sub garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP olive oil sub butter
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups broth veggie or chicken, sub water
For the eggs and toppings
- 4 egg
- 2 radishes sliced, optional
- 1 avocado sliced, optional
- 1 lime cut into wedges, optional
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped, sub green onion
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese sub queso fresco, or just shredded cheese of your choice
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Brush olive oil on the tortillas (they should have a very light coating. Then stack them and cut them in half, then into quarters.
Arrange the tortillas on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Some overlap is ok. Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning the pan halfway, until the edges are crispy. Keep an eye on them!
Meanwhile, make the sauce: add the flour, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt and cinnamon to a bowl. Mix well.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Let it warm up for a few minutes, then whisk in the flour mixture. Add the tomato paste. Whisk until completely combined and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Slowly stir in the broth/water and mix well to incorporate everything. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes – until the mixture has thickened. Taste and adjust spices as necessary.
Turn off the heat under the pan and add the chips to the sauce. Toss them to coat. Top with sliced radishes, cilantro, cheese and any other toppings of your choice.
If cooking eggs, cook them separately at this point to your liking: poached, fried, sunny side up, scrambled etc.
Divide the chilaquiles between two plates. Top with the eggs and sliced avocado if using. Enjoy!