This homemade Cream Cheese Frosting is fluffy and pipes beautifully. We’re sharing our tips for a perfectly thick and whipped frosting. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love this Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe on cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. It’s especially good on Red Velvet Cake and Pumpkin Cake. If you’ve been looking for that perfect and versatile frosting recipe, this is a must-try!
Cream Cheese Frosting Video
If you enjoyed this video for Cream Cheese Frosting, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video). Thank you for subscribing!
Why we Love this Frosting
Hands down this is the best cream cheese frosting. Here’s why this will become your go-to recipe:
- Texture – it’s thick enough to pipe onto a cake or cupakes and isn’t runny like many cream cheese frostings tend to be.
- Sweetness – this has just the right amount of sugar and isn’t overly sweet.
- Flavor – the proportion of butter and cream cheese is just right and it doesn’t taste too much like cream cheese. The vanilla and salt also add great flavor.
The key to making great cream cheese frosting is in making sure your butter and cream cheese aren’t overly softened.
- Unsalted butter – use an inexpensive, light-colored butter for a lighter colored frosting.
- Cream cheese – 1/2 cup adds just enough cream cheese flavor and lightens up the frosting.
- Powdered sugar – sweetens up the frosting without being overly sweet.
- Vanilla extract – use a real extract or homemade vanilla for the best taste.
- Salt – a little goes a long way to balance the flavor.
How long to soften butter and cream cheese? Keep at room temperature (70˚F room) for about 1 1/2 hours, or until you can indent the butter with your fingertip. It should feel cool to the touch and should not feel too soft or squishy.
The Best Cream Cheese:
Make sure to use full-fat, block-style cream cheese. Avoid cream cheese sold in a tub as those can make frosting runny and are intended to be used for spreads rather than frosting.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy then beat on high speed for 1 minute until lightened in color.
- Beat in cream cheese pieces just until combined, scraping down the bowl.
- Add vanilla and salt and beat to combine.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix at low speed until incorporated. Increase to high speed and beat another 2-3 minutes until whipped, thick and spreadable, scraping down the bowl a couple of times to ensure everything is really well blended.
Yes, since it has cream cheese and is dairy-based, it should be refrigerated. See instructions for refrigerating and freezing in the “Make-ahead” section below.
Add more powdered sugar if an even thicker frosting is desired.
Yes, it is a sturdy frosting and perfect for cookies. You can even use gel food coloring at the end to tint the frosting.
It can sit out at room temperature for 6 hours. In a warmer or more humid climate, refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yes, use a spatula to fold in a gel food coloring to the finished frosting to reach the desired color. Gel colors are less likely to thin your frosting.
Use Cream Cheese Frosting for:
We love to serve this frosting on all kinds of dessert. These pair really well with the balanced sweetness of this frosting.
I hope this becomes your go-to Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. The texture is impressive, it pipes beautifully, and best of all, it freezes and keeps really well.
- To Refrigerate: Cover frosting and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or until ready to use. To use, let sit at room temperature for about 1 hour or just until spreadable or pipeable. If you frost and refrigerate your cake, let it soften at room temperature 1-2 hours before serving.
- Freezing: Transfer frosting to a freezer-safe zip bag and shape into an even thickness in the bag. Freeze flat for 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight then keep at room temperature 30-60 minutes just until spreadable.
More Frosting Recipes:
These frosting recipes every baker should have in their collection. You will use these again and again.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
This homemade Cream Cheese Frosting is fluffy and pipes beautifully. Learn how to make the perfect thick and whipped frosting.
Cost to Make:
Cream Cheese Frosting
Calories: 213 kcal
Servings: 24 cupcakes or 2-layer 9″ cake
Place butter into a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth and creamy then beat on high speed 1 minute until lightened in color.
Beat in softened cream cheese, just until combined, scraping down the bowl.
Beat in vanilla and salt until incorporated.
Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated. Once all the powdered sugar is in, Increase to high speed and beat another 2-3 minutes until whipped, thick and spreadable, scraping down the bowl a couple of times to ensure everything is really well blended.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g56%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 481IU10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.