After one year of sitting empty or operating as a mass COVID-19 vaccination site, Disneyland and California Adventure parks and are set to reopen on April 30. The Orange County theme parks haven’t released ticket availability for adoring fans yet, but the Walt Disney Co. announced some major plans yesterday to expand the Anaheim resort with new restaurants, shops, and attractions.
Don’t get too excited for the newly named Disneyland Forward yet, Walt Disney Co. hasn’t submitted development plans to the Anaheim City Council. The Los Angeles Times reports that Walt Disney Co. said it would present in front of the council by 2023. Disney officials pointed to underdeveloped areas surrounding the two Disney hotels for the new expansion. Disney officials said the development will be on the west side of the theme parks, with the other on a parking lot east of the resort.
In other news:
- While limited indoor dining returned to Los Angeles two weeks ago, restaurants are having a hard time finding applicants or qualified employees, reports ABC-7.
- Santa Monica Place will add a new French-Californian rooftop restaurant this summer called Loulou. The project is by Erik and Florence Chol, who restored DTLA’s Globe Theater in 2015.
- LA’s baseball team announced new set of protocols for allowing baseball fans back into Dodger Stadium. Only 20 percent capacity, or 11,000 fans, in socially distanced seating will be allowed. The Pasadena Star News reports that stadium capacity could increase to 33 percent if LA County can move from the red to orange tier.
- An interesting Korean barbecue drive-thru opened in Chinatown last month called MGD Korean BBQ Express. It’s not exactly a traditional drive-thru, but more of a socially-distanced service where you order online first, wait until the order is ready before driving up to pick up from the window from 11:30 to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Spire 73 at the InterContinental reopens on Friday, April 9. Reservations are required through Open Table, as well as masks when not seated.