The fear of the holiday season is quickly approaching. No, not the fear of buying the right gift for everyone in your life, but the fear of gaining weight! No one wants to lose their health and fitness progress, but all those holiday meals and sweet treats can make it incredibly difficult to stay on track. The key to keeping in shape is making a commitment to your health, even during crazy times. So, if you need to commit to something this holiday season to stay in shape, it should be this workout designed to keep holiday weight gain away.
Morning workouts are the key to all-day fat burning. Not only do they rev up your metabolism for increased calorie burn, but working out early will also help you make healthier choices all day long. This total body workout offers a mix of lifting and cardio, using compound exercises that focus on two body parts for each rep. You’ll work hard with minimal rest, but you won’t have to worry about exercising for the rest of the day.
Maintain a Healthy Diet Outside of the Holiday Parties
While this routine is great for burning excess calories, maintaining a nutritious diet is equally as important. We know that cheat meals are a part of life this time of year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t eat healthy outside of the holiday parties and family gatherings! If you need a little help in this department, you’ve come to the right place. We have dozens of meal plans and nutritious recipes that are perfect for weight loss, including:
Workout to Keep Holiday Weight Gain Away
What to Do: Perform this workout every morning. After two weeks, switch the exercise sequence and bump up your fitness level. Be sure to watch the instructional videos for each move below before beginning the workout!
What You’ll Need: A yoga mat or soft surface, a set of light to medium weight dumbbells (see below for suggested weight), and an interval timer (available on most phones).
- Beginner Workout – Perform each exercise for 40 seconds with 20 seconds of rest in between exercises. Complete three rounds, resting for 30 seconds in between each round. For weighted exercises, use a 5- to 10-pound dumbbell.
- Intermediate Workout – Perform each exercise for 50 seconds with 10 seconds of rest in between exercises. Complete four rounds, resting for 30 seconds in between each round. For weighted exercises, use a 10- to 15-pound dumbbell.
- Advanced Workout – Perform each exercise for one minute with no rest in between exercises. Complete five rounds with no rest in between each round. For weighted exercises, use a 15- to 20-pound dumbbell.
- Dumbbell Curl to Press
- Side Lunge to Knee Drive (Complete on both sides before moving on)
- Long Arm Crunches
- Bird Dog Plank (Complete on both sides before moving on)
- Squat w/ Side Leg Raise (Complete on both sides before moving on)
Dumbbell Curl to Press
Side Lunge to Knee Drive
Long Arm Crunches
Bird Dog Plank
Squat w/ Side Leg Raise
Looking for more ways to keep holiday weight gain away? Try any of these 10 Workouts to Help You Lose the Holiday 20. Also, be sure to follow us on Pinterest for more incredible workouts and fitness challenges!