A soup that will satisfy your body and soul.
Have you ever noticed that your palate tends to change with the seasons? As the warm, summer air gives way to cooler weather, cravings for cozy, rich-flavored soups intensify. In addition to its tasty and comforting flavors, our Moroccan Lentil Soup also offers an abundance of essential nutrients. If you ask me, there’s nothing better than a healthy recipe that also satisfies your cravings. Plus, this soup is incredibly simple to prepare and only requires one pot, so clean-up is super easy!
Moroccan Spices Bring this Recipe to Life
When you think about Moroccan food, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Spices, of course! This soup is loaded with nutrient-rich spices that will nourish your body and awaken your taste buds. Here are some of the spices used in this soup, along with their health benefits:
- Cumin: Aside from its immune-boosting properties, cumin can also improve digestion and enhance cognitive (brain) function. It may even prevent premature aging!
- Cardamom: This spice can improve sleep and circulation, and it may even be able to alleviate joint pain by reducing inflammation within the body.
- Cinnamon: This spice is considered an antioxidant powerhouse for several reasons. It offers antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties known to benefit your health.
- Turmeric: Perhaps the most beneficial spice, turmeric can detoxify the body, boost immune health, help to control diabetes, and aid in weight loss. It may even contain properties that fight ailments like arthritis and cancer.
Hearty, Nutrient-Rich Ingredients
You’ll get a hefty dose of protein and a whopping 22 grams of fiber in each cup of this vegan soup. This vitamin-rich dish is also low in sugar and fat, and it happens to be naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. At just over 300 calories per serving, this recipe is as guilt-free as it gets!
We love how this soup is packed full of nutrient-dense ingredients. The sweet potatoes are a heart-healthy vegetable that’s rich in iron, vitamin B6, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium, and more! It also contains a dense concentration of fiber that promotes a healthy digestive tract.
Meanwhile, the green lentils bring a ton of health benefits, too. If weight loss is one of your goals, green lentils should definitely be a part of your regular diet. They’re also great for lowering cholesterol and can even strengthen the structure of your muscles!
With so many incredible flavors and health benefits, there’s no reason not to try this deliciously easy, Moroccan Lentil Soup. If you’re looking to make this meal a little more hearty, consider pairing it with our delicious Summer Herbed Naan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion small, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 cups green lentils rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
In a medium soup pot, heat olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and sweet potato, cook for another 5 minutes or until just begin to soften.
Stir in lentils, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cloves. Stir until the mixture become very fragrant, about 1 minute.
Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Nutritious food has never tasted so delicious! Be sure to let us know what you thought of this Moroccan soup in the comment section.
Want recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? If so, be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. You can also follow us on Instagram and Pinterest for more fantastic healthy meals, exercise tips, meal plans, and more!