Prepared for an orange hen recipe even higher than the frozen model from Dealer Joes’?
For those who’re not acquainted, I’m speaking about this one:
I heard that TJ’s Mandarin Orange Rooster was top-of-the-line freezer meals and I knew I needed to strive it. Whereas we undoubtedly loved the freezer meal model from TJ, I used to be excited to make my very own from scratch. You’ll be able to watch the total video the place I recreate it step-by-step beneath!
Get extra recipes like this within the Workweek Lunch Meal Prep Program with entry to our meal planning instruments, grocery listing generator and extra. Start a free trial today!
Beneath is a photograph of the TJ frozen dinner model – we didn’t have any veggies readily available and I topped the rice with furikake seasoning for my orange hen recipe.
Once more, it was good, however we discovered that there was extra breading than precise hen and the sauce was nearly too candy.
I hope you get pleasure from this selfmade model as a lot as I did!
Right here we’re utilizing hen thigh (means moister than hen breast), broccoli, rice and a bunch of easy-to-find substances for the orange sauce (the star of the dish) together with an orange, soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar and ketchup.
How one can customise this orange Rooster recipe
- You’ll be able to simply swap out hen thighs for hen breast, shrimp, or beef strips. Simply notice that hen thighs could have one of the best texture!
- You’ll be able to simply swap white rice out for a grain of your alternative. Notice that white rice has a greater texture for meal preps than brown rice, however it completely works. Quinoa or cauliflower rice would work too! I used to be this shut to creating this a noodle dish – noodles would completely work.
- Wish to add extra veggies or possibly you’re over broccoli? Snap peas, bok choy, inexperienced onions, child corn, bell peppers, zucchini, chopped inexperienced beans and white mushrooms would all work nicely on this dish.
- Use an all-purpose GF flour, GF bread crumbs, and liquid aminos as a substitute of soy sauce to make this meal gluten-free!
- For those who’re vegan, exchange the eggs with 1/2 cup non-dairy milk and use tofu or tempeh as a substitute!
Let’s speak concerning the orange sauce
For the sauce, you’re on the lookout for a thick texture, however skinny sufficient to toss your protein in.
In case your sauce isn’t getting thick, add extra cornstarch combined with water (1 tsp cornstarch to 2-3 TBSP water).
In case your sauce is simply too thick, add extra water.
Or, in order for you it to be sweeter, add extra sugar or ketchup!
Tools You’ll Want For This Orange Rooster Recipe
Storage and reheating notes:
This meal lasts for as much as 4 days within the fridge. It’s not freezer-friendly. You can too save any further sauce within the fridge for as much as 6 days (or freeze the sauce alone!)
Reheat this Orange Rooster meal within the microwave OR on the range.
And Don’t Neglect To Attempt Our Different Scrumptious Recipes!
Or Give these Different Orange Rooster Copycats a Go!
Orange Baked Rooster (Copycat Recipe)
Servings 3 meals
For the hen
- cooking spray
- 1.5 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sub GF all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs whisked
- 16 oz hen thighs chopped, sub hen breast
For the broccoli and rice
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- salt and pepper to style
- 1/4 cup water
For the sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 inch ginger minced or grated
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar plus extra to style
- 1 orange for juices and zest (about 1/2 cup of juice and 1/2 tsp for zest)
Preheat your oven to 375 F. Grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Put together the hen: Course of or mix the panko breadcrumbs to make them finer (I simply used my meals processor). Add the flour to a bowl and blend it with the salt. Place the processed panko breadcrumbs and whisked eggs in their very own bowls.
Dip the hen within the flour, then eggs, then panko and onto the baking sheet. That is best to do with tongs. Make sure that to faucet off extra flour and panko as you go and provides the hen as a lot house as doable. When all of the hen is coated and on the sheet pan, bake for 20 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare dinner the rice: add the rice, water and a beneficiant pinch of salt to a pot. Convey the pot to a boil, then cowl and scale back to a simmer for 10 minutes. Flip off the warmth and let the rice steam for an extra 10 minutes (or longer). No peeking! Then fluff with a fork and put aside.
Cook dinner the broccoli: Add the oil to a skillet over medium warmth, adopted by the broccoli and salt and pepper to style. Toss the broccoli to coat it within the oil, then add 1/4 cup water to the pan. Cowl and let the broccoli steam till vivid inexperienced – about 6-8 minutes. Uncover the pan and let the broccoli prepare dinner for an extra 2-3 minutes. Take away it from the pan and provides it a fast wipe with a clear towel.
Put together the sauce: Combine the cornstarch, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, ketchup and water in a measuring glass. Squeeze the juice from the orange into the glass and add about 1/2 tsp of zest.
Cook dinner the sauce: Pour the combination into the identical pan you used for the broccoli over medium-high warmth and produce it to a low boil. Stir continuously and maintain cooking till the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Style and modify flavors as needed. In order for you it to be sweeter, add extra sugar or ketchup. If the sauce just isn’t thickening, flip up the warmth a bit and stir much less typically.
When the sauce is thick, add the cooked hen to the pan and toss to coat.
Assemble: Divide the rice, broccoli and coated orange hen to your meal prep containers. That’s it!